Day 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78

Sept 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, Oct 1, 2
Miles:  10.9 plus 8.6 to Manning Park = 19.5
PCT:  2649.2 – 2660.1
Total Miles:  916.3
Elevation gain:  ?

It was a hard and long last day but I was motivated to get to the finish.  No rain finally, but my boots retained water and were still a problem.  I got to the border and one other hiker was there.  I shared my whisky with him and took some pictures at the monument.  It was anticlimatic for me as I’m not finishing the hike as all the other hikers are.  There was a wedding at the monument earlier in the day.

I got to Manning park and decided to stay at the hotel rather than the hostel.  I needed the quiet time.

The next day, I caught the Grayhound bus to Alberta and transferred to a train to Seattle.  Very scenic.

I stayed one night in Seattle, then flew to Bakersfield where I rented a car and drove to Fresno to prepare for my next section.  I decided on Fresno as they have an REI and I needed new clothes and equipment.

Today (10/3) I’m heading back to the trail.

After arriving at Manning Park, I got to the restaurant just before they closed and had a very large sampler plate.

image

I decided to strike a hiking pose.

Bill (Blackhawk Down)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Day 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78

1. Kathy says:

I have enjoyed reading all of your posts Bill! Thanks for the updates and the photos! Wow, what an accomplishment to have hiked all the way through Oregon and Washington! Beautiful photos of Washington, almost makes me want to do it…

Rick says “You’re looking good, your face is a lot thinner, you’ve lost your Pillsbury Dough Boy look”

Good luck in the Sierras!

• billweberx says:

Thanks Kathy,

I’ve lost about 35lbs and feel great, except for my feet. I have new boots and socks so we’ll see how that goes. I’m heading back to the trail today. Hope for dry weather. Take care.
      Bill

2. Jake says:

Congratulations Dad, I wouldn’t have recognized you without the pose. Great writing.
    Jake

3. Rick Crook says:

Congrats for reaching the northern terminus! It does look like your face is thinner. Bet it feels good to have that extra weight off. You’ve shared some beautiful views with all of us who have been following your adventure. Thank you for that. Good luck in the Sierras. Wanda & I will be waiting to read your updates. BTW– Did you pass by the trail section where you wiped out the first time you started the hike?

• billweberx says:

Thanks Rick. It feels weird with all the loose skin where the fat resided. I’m sure I passed the scene of the accident but there was no snow and I wouldn’t recognize it. I’m in Bridgeport for resupply and will update the blog.

4. Don Wood says:

Hang in there Bill not long to go and you can prop up those bloody feet and take a much deserved rest. Keep us posted. You are a pretty good writer. It’s that engineering part of you that thinks your not. Hike on Buddy. We’re thinking about you everyday.
    Don\

5. Seb says:

Congratulation Bill. You made it to the border. Your french fans are still following you 🙂

• billweberx says:

I have fans?? Cool! I’m about half way. Probably only weather will stop me now. I’ve recently been snowed on twice. If too much snow hits Northern California, I’ll have to skip down to southern California. I’m not risking my life for this.