PCT: 1048.6 – 1068.7
Total Miles: 1141.9
Elevation gain: 3815
Last night had amazingly loud winds blowing through the canyons and then hitting me in gusts. You can hear the block of wind traveling around at a distance, working its way to me. When it hits, it’s like what I imagine a hurricane sounds like. I had some protection in my campsite so it only shook my tent around a little with each blast, but it was so loud, it kept me up most of the night.
The climbs were easier today, with no really long climbs. Lots of short hills but still a respectable 3800 feet of gain.
My feet were a little better today, with the usual pattern of pain. It seems to be getting a little better each day, or I’m just getting used to it.
There were mostly clear skies with some wispy clouds and a few puffy clouds in the distance. It’s supposed to rain tomorrow, which has me worried about the possibility of snow. Snow can hide the trail, forcing me to use my GPS continuously. I don’t have enough battery power to do this for a whole section, so I hope it does not cover the trail too much. If it snows enough, it could be difficult to traverse through it, making my milage so low that I may not have enough food to finish the section, especially if I get lost often due to the covered trail. I pay attention weather forecasts while in town to decide if it’s safe to proceed. But, as we know, weather forecasts are not always reliable. There is risk out here.
Bill (Blackhawk Down)